Kerala style, spicy mutton roast with coconut.
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Mutton,cut into medium pieces- 400 to 500 gms
- Ginger,juliened – 1 and 1/2″piece
- Garlic,sliced – 3 large cloves
- Coconut,sliced – 1/2 cup
- Shallots,sliced- 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves- 1 or 2 sprigs
- Green chilies,sliced – 1 or 2( according to taste)
- Garam masala powder – 1/8 to 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder,freshly ground – 1/4 tsp( optional)
- Coconut Oil – as required
- Salt – to atse
To roast and grind:
- Black peppercorns- 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1.5 tsp to 2 tsp( according to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Corinader powder – 1.5 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies ,sliced – 2
- Shallots,sliced – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – 2 to 3 sprigs
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Salt- to taste
Dry roast the ingredients listed under ” to roast and grind” ( black peppercorns and fennel seeds) for about 30 seconds ,stirring continuously.
Grind this to a coarse powder with mortar and pestle.
In a pressure cooker ,add the mutton along with all the ingredients listed under ” for marination”.Add the prepared black pepper – fennel powder.Mix well until combined.Keep aside for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Cook the marinated mutton until it is tender.( Alternatively use a heavy bottomed pan and cook covered for about 40 to 50 minutes.)
Next,heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add mustard seeds ,let it splutter.Next add the ginger and garlic ,saute for about 30 seconds.
Next add the sliced coconut,shallots,curry leaves and green chilies.Saute until shallots turn golden.
Now add the cooked mutton and mix well.Add more salt if required.
Add garam masala and cook over medium-low flame stirring well in between until it turns dark brown in color.( Make sure you scrape the bottom of the pan to help loosen the browned bits.)
Add freshly ground black pepper( if using), mix well .Serve with rice , pulav ,pathiri or chapathi .
- Adjust the amount of black pepper and green chilies according to your taste.