- Hard boiled eggs- 2 nos
- Onion(sliced finely)-2 large or 3 medium nos
- Ginger (chopped)-1 tsp
- Garlic (chopped)- 1tsp
- Curry leaves-1 sprig
- Coconut milk-1/2 cup
- Water-1/4 to 1/2 cup( as required)
- Vinegar- 1/4 tsp(optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Kashmiri chili powder- 3/4 to 1 1/2 tsp( or according to taste)
- Coriander powder-1 1/2tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Combine the ingredients for masala with sufficient quantity of water to form a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add onion,ginger,garlic and curry leaves.saute it till onion turns golden brown over a medium flame for about 15 to 20 minutes ,stirring in between.(make sure onion is caramelized, you can add salt while frying the onion to speed up the process.)
- Reduce the flame to low and add the masala paste,saute for a minute or two.( Update:if you want onion to be really soft in the curry (and just melt in your mouth!!) ,add 1/4 cup or a bit more of water after sauteing the masala and cook covered over medium low flame for about 12 to 15 minutes )
- Now add coconut milk , required amount of water and vinegar.Mix well and bring to just under a boil over medium flame.Adjust salt level at this point.
- Now add the sliced eggs,cover the eggs with the gravy,cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves ,if desired.
- Serve with appam.
NOTE: For best results use homemade garam masala
Few of the readers have said that the curry is a bit spicy,if you prefer less spicy egg curry ,then reduce the quantity of Kashmiri chili powder to 3/4 tsp.