Kerala Squid-Coconut Roast
Kerala style spicy squid roast with coconut.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
- Squid,cleaned and sliced- 500 gms
- Onion,chopped – 1 cup
- Shallots ,sliced – 1/4 cup
- Ginger,finely chopped – 1″ piece
- Green chilies,cut into two – 4( or according to taste)
- Kashmiri chili powder – 2 tsp( or according to taste)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1.5 tsp
- Water – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilies ,cut into two -1 or 2
- Curry leaves – 1 or 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil – as required
For Coconut paste:
- Grated coconut- 1 cup
- Garlic – 1 large clove
Coarsely grind together grated coconut and garlic.Keep aside until required.
Heat oil in a non- stick pan or a heavy bottomed pan .Add onion,shallots,ginger and green chilies.Saute until onion turns golden brown.
Reduce flame to low,add kashmiri chili powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder and garam masla and saute for about 30 seconds.
Add squid ,sufficient quantity of water and salt to taste.Cover and cook over medium flame until done and gravy turns thick.
Once the gravy turns thick,move the squid masala over to one side of the pan.( Use another pan if desired).Pour 2 tsp oil .
Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Now add curry leaves and red chilies,saute for few seconds.Add the coconut – garlic mixture .
Saute the coconut mixture for few seconds.Mix this along with the squid masala and cook for about a minute.
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies and chili powder , according to your taste.