Kozhi Mappas-Kerala Chicken Curry
- Chicken-medium sized pieces-
400 to 500 gms
1.5 cups(2 medium sized)
- Green chilies-cut vertically-
2 nos(or according to taste)
- Curry leaves–
- Ginger-finely chopped-
- Garlic-finely chopped-
- Kashmiri chili powder–
1 tbsp(see notes)
- Turmeric powder–
- Coriander powder–
- Garam masala powder–
3/4 cup( one medium sized)
- Thin coconut milk–
- Thick coconut milk–
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion,green chilies,curry leaves.ginger and garlic.Saute until onion turns golden brown ,over a medium low flame.
- Reduce the flame to low and add kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder,coriander powder, garam masala powder and 1/4 cup water.Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes,stirring continuously until masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add potato and mix well.Cook for a minute or two.
- Add chicken pieces and cook for few minutes..
- Add thin coconut milk ,salt and mix well.Cover and cook till the chicken is done and gravy turns thick.
- Add thick coconut milk and simmer for few minutes.Serve with appam ,chapathi or rice.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.Kashmiri chili powder gives a nice red colour to the curry without being too spicy.I used about 1.5 tbsp of kashmiri chili powder.If you are using regular chili powder,use according to your spice level.
- If you require more gravy add sufficient quantity of hot water while adding the thin coconut milk to the curry.